To keep students in your SAC/ LLS involved and bring them together when they may be socially isolating to some degree, why not invite them to take part in this vocabulary tournament? Lexxica, West Tokyo JALT, and JASAL are co-sponsoring a FREE Vocabulary Team Challenge. Teams of 8 to 20 students from around the world can compete to win praise and prizes.
Our partner organization, the Writing Centers Association of Japan, has extended the deadline for presentation proposals for their February 23rd Symposium (free of charge!) until January 17th, 2020. Take a look at the website!
Thank you for participating in JASAL2019! We are working now on a conference page with photos and PDFs of presentations.
We would like to let you know about some upcoming conferences which our partner organizations are holding next year. The Writing Centers Association of Japan (WCAJ) will be holding their 12th Symposium on Sunday, February 23rd 2020, at Osaka University (Suita Campus) in Osaka, Japan. The call for proposals is open (Deadline: Friday, January 10th, 2020). WCAJ Symposium Poster 2020
The ILA-LASIG2020 will be held from June 29 to July 1st, 2020 at the National Autonomous University of Mexico. The Independent Learning Association Conference (ILA 2020) will be held in collaboration with the International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL) Learner Autonomy Special Interest Group (LASIG) with the theme “Developing Learner Autonomy in Language Learning”. The deadline to submit a proposal is December 20th, 2019.
We have made a short survey, so that we get a clearer idea of how we can best serve our members moving forwards. The survey is anonymous and takes about 15-20 minutes. We’d really appreciate it if you could share your experiences, feedback, and ideas with us.
Just a reminder that to attend JASAL2019 at the discounted early rate, you need to pay by “furikomi” by November 1st. Payment by November 1st is also required to join the Saturday evening networking event, and order a Sunday bento.
Quite a few people have pre-registered but not paid yet, and there is just one week left!
The details on how to pay will have been emailed to you after pre-registering, and were also on the registration form. If you need help, please email us!
JASAL is happy to announce that we will offer a grant for undergraduate students and a Newcomer Grant for newcomers to the JASAL conference.
JASAL will offer:
- Student Grant: up to ¥30,000 each for 2 undergraduate student presenters at the main conference (not the student forum) whose return travel expenses (on public transportation) to reach JR Sojiji station total more than ￥3000. Students may present individually, as a pair, or with a teacher/learning adviser.
- Newcomer Grant: up to ¥20,000 for 1 non-undergraduate first-time attendee (no need to be a presenter) to JASAL, with no access to research budget or other funding whose return travel expenses (on public transportation) to reach JR Sojiji station total more than ￥3000.
- Recipients should submit an estimate of expenses (details will be given to selected persons later).
- Recipients will pay up front and be reimbursed in cash on the day.
- Recipients are asked to write and submit a report (approximately 1,000 words) on the conference.
- Recipients will need to confirm by a certain date, and register for the conference. If they fail to do so by the date specified, they will not be able to receive the grant and it will be offered to another candidate.
If you are eligible and would like to apply, please fill in this form by Aug 4th (the same date as submissions close).
If you have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org