Our partner organization, the Writing Centers Association of Japan, has extended the deadline for presentation proposals for their February 23rd Symposium (free of charge!) until January 17th, 2020. Take a look at the website!
Thank you for participating in JASAL2019! We are working now on a conference page with photos and PDFs of presentations.
We would like to let you know about some upcoming conferences which our partner organizations are holding next year. The Writing Centers Association of Japan (WCAJ) will be holding their 12th Symposium on Sunday, February 23rd 2020, at Osaka University (Suita Campus) in Osaka, Japan. The call for proposals is open (Deadline: Friday, January 10th, 2020). WCAJ Symposium Poster 2020
The ILA-LASIG2020 will be held from June 29 to July 1st, 2020 at the National Autonomous University of Mexico. The Independent Learning Association Conference (ILA 2020) will be held in collaboration with the International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language (IATEFL) Learner Autonomy Special Interest Group (LASIG) with the theme “Developing Learner Autonomy in Language Learning”. The deadline to submit a proposal is December 20th, 2019.
We have made a short survey, so that we get a clearer idea of how we can best serve our members moving forwards. The survey is anonymous and takes about 15-20 minutes. We’d really appreciate it if you could share your experiences, feedback, and ideas with us.
Just a reminder that to attend JASAL2019 at the discounted early rate, you need to pay by “furikomi” by November 1st. Payment by November 1st is also required to join the Saturday evening networking event, and order a Sunday bento.
Quite a few people have pre-registered but not paid yet, and there is just one week left!
The details on how to pay will have been emailed to you after pre-registering, and were also on the registration form. If you need help, please email us!
JASAL is happy to announce that we will offer a grant for undergraduate students and a Newcomer Grant for newcomers to the JASAL conference.
JASAL will offer:
- Student Grant: up to ¥30,000 each for 2 undergraduate student presenters at the main conference (not the student forum) whose return travel expenses (on public transportation) to reach JR Sojiji station total more than ￥3000. Students may present individually, as a pair, or with a teacher/learning adviser.
- Newcomer Grant: up to ¥20,000 for 1 non-undergraduate first-time attendee (no need to be a presenter) to JASAL, with no access to research budget or other funding whose return travel expenses (on public transportation) to reach JR Sojiji station total more than ￥3000.
- Recipients should submit an estimate of expenses (details will be given to selected persons later).
- Recipients will pay up front and be reimbursed in cash on the day.
- Recipients are asked to write and submit a report (approximately 1,000 words) on the conference.
- Recipients will need to confirm by a certain date, and register for the conference. If they fail to do so by the date specified, they will not be able to receive the grant and it will be offered to another candidate.
If you are eligible and would like to apply, please fill in this form by Aug 4th (the same date as submissions close).
If you have any questions, please contact: email@example.com
Hello! There are a few upcoming conferences which may be of interest to JASAL members.
Two other upcoming conferences involve the IALLT (International Association for Language Learning Technology). The IALLT Conference is June 19th-22nd, 2019 in Eugene, Oregon, USA. More information here.
The IALLT is also cohosting the FLEAT VII Conference with J-LET at Waseda University, Tokyo, from August 6th to 9th 2019. More information here.
JASAL members will have received an email about the election for the new committee, starting April 2019. We have received a number of nominations (thanks!), but no nominations for the role of treasurer.
Here is the description:
The treasurer will be in charge of accounts for the annual conference, and any other events for which a fee is charged. Please note that membership fees are not charged.
If you think you could do this, please ask someone to nominate you. The deadline to submit nominations has been extended to Monday 4th February.
Send your nominations to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Include the person’s name, the role, and a few lines on why you think they are a good candidate.
JASAL , the JASAL2018xSUTLF5 conference, and the sake tasting event were mentioned in an article in the Jyokai Times on January 4th. Enjoy!
Greetings from the JASAL committee! Thank you to all for the successful JASAL 2018 x SUTLF 5 conference at Sojo University in Kumamoto. We’d like to thank everyone involved in making this conference a success. We had over 110 people join from all over Japan and abroad.
We hope very much to to see you all at JASAL 2019, which will be held at Otemon Gakuin University in Osaka.
Have a wonderful festive season, and best wishes for the New Year!