JASAL is happy to announce that we will offer a grant for undergraduate students and a Newcomer Grant for newcomers to the JASAL conference.
JASAL will offer:
- Student Grant: up to ¥30,000 each for 2 undergraduate student presenters at the main conference (not the student forum) whose return travel expenses (on public transportation) to reach JR Sojiji station total more than ￥3000. Students may present individually, as a pair, or with a teacher/learning adviser.
- Newcomer Grant: up to ¥20,000 for 1 non-undergraduate first-time attendee (no need to be a presenter) to JASAL, with no access to research budget or other funding whose return travel expenses (on public transportation) to reach JR Sojiji station total more than ￥3000.
- Recipients should submit an estimate of expenses (details will be given to selected persons later).
- Recipients will pay up front and be reimbursed in cash on the day.
- Recipients are asked to write and submit a report (approximately 1,000 words) on the conference.
- Recipients will need to confirm by a certain date, and register for the conference. If they fail to do so by the date specified, they will not be able to receive the grant and it will be offered to another candidate.
If you are eligible and would like to apply, please fill in this form by Aug 4th (the same date as submissions close).
If you have any questions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
The call for presentations is now out for JASAL2019, to be held Nov. 30~Dec. 1, 2019 (pre-conference SAC tour Nov. 29) at Otemon Gakuin University, Ibaraki City, Osaka. Submit an abstract here.
We are also looking for students to join the JASAL Student Conference 2019 on Saturday, Oct. 19, 2019 at Konan Women’s University, Kobe. If you are interested, please use this form.
Right now, you do not need a title or summary.
Hello! There are a few upcoming conferences which may be of interest to JASAL members.
The Call for Papers is now out for EICA 2019 (Encuentro Internacional de Centros de Autoacceso 2019, which will be held June 25th and 26th, 2019). The deadline to submit is April 19th 2019.
Two other upcoming conferences involve the IALLT (International Association for Language Learning Technology). The IALLT Conference is June 19th-22nd, 2019 in Eugene, Oregon, USA. More information here.
The IALLT is also cohosting the FLEAT VII Conference with J-LET at Waseda University, Tokyo, from August 6th to 9th 2019. More information here.
JASAL members will have received an email about the election for the new committee, starting April 2019. We have received a number of nominations (thanks!), but no nominations for the role of treasurer.
Here is the description:
The treasurer will be in charge of accounts for the annual conference, and any other events for which a fee is charged. Please note that membership fees are not charged.
If you think you could do this, please ask someone to nominate you. The deadline to submit nominations has been extended to Monday 4th February.
Send your nominations to: email@example.com
Include the person’s name, the role, and a few lines on why you think they are a good candidate.
JASAL , the JASAL2018xSUTLF5 conference, and the sake tasting event were mentioned in an article in the Jyokai Times on January 4th. Enjoy!
Jyokai Times article
Greetings from the JASAL committee! Thank you to all for the successful JASAL 2018 x SUTLF 5 conference at Sojo University in Kumamoto. We’d like to thank everyone involved in making this conference a success. We had over 110 people join from all over Japan and abroad.
We hope very much to to see you all at JASAL 2019, which will be held at Otemon Gakuin University in Osaka.
Have a wonderful festive season, and best wishes for the New Year!
JASAL2018xSUTLF5 is coming in just a few days! Be sure to download the handbook ahead of time, as we will be continuing with our environmentally-friendly policy of not printing out handbooks. The handbook is here:
Can’t wait to see you all in Kumamoto!
JASAL2018xSUTLF5, Sojo University, Kumamoto.
Friday, December 14th (SAC tour, Welcome Party)
Saturday, December 15th (Main Conference)
Sunday, December 16th (Kumamoto City Tour).